Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My R.A. ...

Rhetorical analysis essays are hard in general I think. Actually according to the grades of every paper I’ve ever written, writing in general is difficult for me. In regards to my rhetorical analysis paper I did pretty much average. I’m suppose to reflect the areas of worked and did not work, what should I do and possibly figure out what shouldn’t I do for this paper and maybe even the upcoming paper.

For the R.A. (rhetorical analysis) paper there were many mistakes most of them or probably all simple grammar and organizational problems. But before I go off ranting what is wrong I’ll talk a little about what did go right, for the most part. What did seem to go right were my thesis and conclusion, rhetorical appeals, and audience awareness. With my thesis I tried to find something that was concrete and straight forward and showed what sort of order I was planning on writing my paper all together, so many idea seemed to have worked and flowed with the paper. Then my rhetorical appeals or triangle, I did somewhat okay on that as well because I have had lots of practice with this thanks to high school, and the fact that when I want to I CAN THINK, AND THINK ABSTRACTLY IF I REALLY WANT TO OR NEED TO, so I guess I was able to pull that off enough for the R.A. paper. The next thing I did alright was my appeal to he audience. I think I usually do okay in this part because I really like putting voice in my papers to make it appealing but sometime I might put to munch, but for this paper I toned it down because it was a very serious and sad topic. Now, onto the areas where I did bad and usually always do badly on. I did poorly on grammar and organization. I figured I’d do bad on both of this aspects because my mind just goes faster than I can put it down, my mind seems to be scattered each time I write a paper, so this explains my organization, and part of the reason for my grammar. My grammar is usually bad because once I have an idea I run with and continue writing till the idea escapes me, then I just press F7 (Spell Check), and assume that everything is right and coherent but it usually isn’t and I forget to re-read the paper because I rush to just finish the paper hoping that its fine and I did a good job.

However, I need to work on the whole habit(s) of just hitting F7 and not re-reading the freaking paper. And I need to have a fresh pair and smarter pair of eyes to re-read the paper , perhaps like the writing center( if they can schedule me in), or my very smart girlfriend, and or even my friends that are amazing with their papers. So I figure that I should stop these debilitating habits and figure a new strategy in writing and perhaps use it in this very next writing assignment.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Since you did well on the main components of the RA paper, i.e. your thesis, your description on the audience awareness and on the conclusion, I think you only have to work on the actual mechanics to explain them more thoroughly and to go more into detail. We are all not perfect, especially in written communication and writing by itself, but we should see this class as an opportunity to at least work on our flaws and try to correct them as good as we can. Even if our major happens to not be English, we all will have to communicate certain things in writing and I would be very embarrassing for us in front of our subordinates to issue written pieces full of spelling and grammar mistakes. With regards to spell-check, I am telling you, I paid my dues with that. Spell check is great and I sure use it too, but unfortunately (I made that experience too!!!) it does not prevent you from actually printing the paper out and going over it with a pen in the search of more mistakes…Just give the traditional reading a try and you will see that you can avoid many mistakes which will end up marking you down, which could surely be avoided….

Elijah Mitchell said...

Glad to read that you are able to find the spots that you are having difficulty with. Something I find helps me, with regards to organization, is making an outline. It doesn't have to be very detailed, but they do help a lot for me.