Monday, February 4, 2008

My response to "The Southland"...

WOW!!! I must say i have a whole new look at and about the south. After, actually during the reading i had at first found myself thinking,"Oh geez, what crap am I reading now, that some old confederate man wrote??", but as I read I became involved ever so deeply with the story. The imagery captivated me in such a way I could not stop reading. I assumed that in a subtle way that the man was using ethos through his imagery, also considerung we have been discussing rhetoric in class. But through his intense, and somewhat passionate writing about the south it seems appropiate to say that the writer has, or had visited "The Southland" and and was able to grab ever so intensly every detail that he saw and witnessed. Also i believe that the writer used Pathos also in the writing, because with the deep imagery and such fluency with his words i feel that he was trying to capture the readerwith some emotion. I think for sure he got my attention.

1 comment:

Nick Tambakeras said...

Excellent observation of how the use of good language and beatiful style can build a sense of ethos as well as pathos. We tend to think that pathos is the only thing motivating this language, but you also point out how a writer who demonstrates such a facility and artistry with language also builds a sense of credibility because you respect him/her as a craftsperson of language. Excellent post!